- To improve the quality of Access to Information laws;
- To monitor and encourage harmonization with European standards;
- To maintain popular and media support for anti-corruption initiatives;
- To generate a body of knowledge on Access to Information for use in the region and beyond.
The one-year project was implemented by the TI National Chapters in the respective countries and coordinated by he TI International Secretariat.
The project included the following activities:
- Improving legal standards;
- Testing effectiveness of laws/analysis of obstacles to implementation;
- Assisting users of the law;
- Improving government capacity to implement laws;
- Exploring development of legal cases (e.g. preparation of pilot cases to challenge implementation of FOIA laws, or provisions of information to those preparing cases).